African Woman 2 by Portuguese artist Hana Tischler is an original artwork on paper.
Hana Tischler (1988) is a Croatian artist based in Lisbon, Portugal. After graduating from the Academy of Fine Arts in her home town Zagreb, she worked as an art and art history teacher for three years. Unexpectedly in 2016, her life path brought her to Portugal where she decided to pursue her career as an artist, and she hasn’t looked back ever since. What makes her female figures and portraits so recognisable are her graphic brush strokes, the contrast between light and shadow (chiaro scuro), and the use of earthy/pastel tones. African Woman 2 being a great example of this. Tischler now works as a full time painter at a Lisbon based art studio, Mito Creative Site, with several other Portuguese artists.
Women have been the main subject of my work ever since I started painting. My works are a celebration of womanhood, femininity, sexuality, as well as beauty of diversity. I’ve always been influenced by fashion and fashion magazines, so most of the faces and female figures I paint come from the fashion world, but I am especially intrigued by black beauty and culture. The women I paint are fearless, confident, flirty, powerful – new age goddesses in my female universe.
- Group show “Artefatto (Luminesenze)”, La Salla Comunale d’Arte, Trieste (Italy), September 2009.
- “Ukku Lele”, VIP club, Solo show, Zagreb (Croatia), December 2012.
- Solo show “Meninas”, Ben Akiba, Belgrade (Serbia), May 2017.
- Solo show “Mulheres”, Mercado de Cultura, Marinhais (Portugal), March 2018.
- Group show “Art Taco”, Resves cowork, Lisbon (Portugal), December 2019.
- Solo show “Femininidade”, Complexo Cultural da Levada, Tomar (Portugal), March 2020.
“Her works do no justice; the image just grabs you and before you know it, you can’t take your eyes off the painting.”